Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tomayto or Tomaahto

To take a minor detour from my cousin's wedding, I must relate an interesting event I attended last week. Recently, I have become the backup guest for my parents... you know, if someone bails on their plans, they invite me with the added bonus of my stellar company and driving skills; not that I mind since you know it is the summer and my calendar is sooo booked (sarcasm of course). Well last week, it turned out that my sister-in-law had to work late, so I was called in as a replacement to attend a special dinner at a local restaurant. This occasion just so happened to be hosted at one of my parents' favorite restaurants, La Provence, a John Besh restaurant in between Mandeville and Lacombe, Louisiana. Now, my family's relationship with La Provence starts long before John Besh's ownership of this charming and pleasant Provencal auberge.
My father first savored the Provencal cuisine in the 1970s when it was first opened by native Frenchman and chef Chris Kerageorgiou in 1972. Loyal patrons for decades, my parents brought me and my brothers to the restaurant as children where we referred lovingly to the chef and owner as Uncle Chris. So many birthdays, anniversaries, Easters, and Christmas eves were celebrated at our beloved La Provence, and we have continued to frequent the restaurant now under the masterful eye of Chef John Besh who bought the restaurant from Uncle Chris before he passed away.
La Provence still possesses the old world charm and familiarness that I grew up with, but now with an updated and innovative twist. Anyway, this was the location of the special dinner themed solely with crab meat and tomatoes. Sounds interesting right? Like something off of Iron Chef perhaps? Well that was the basic idea...each course had to have those ingredients...even dessert (a little strange and thankfully without crab meat). The evening started with a delicious coupe de champagne, followed by an heirloom tomato Bloody Mary featuring the Belvedere Bloody Mary vodka (good way to start the evening, right?) Now I'm not a fan of Bloody Marys, but this was delicious. The evening continued with 5 courses...but I'm only going to tell you about my favorites.

Accompanying the Bloody Mary was the first course, a crab and tomato bruchetta. This was extremely simple, but one of my favorites because you could really taste the freshness of the ingredients.
Following the bruchetta was a chilled tomato and crabmeat soup and salad. The salad consisted of avocado, cucumber, crab, and fresh herbs. Yum! and so refreshing for the Louisiana steamy summer.
After two other courses, we finished the evening with a tarte tatin of late season tomatoes, salted caramel and mascarpone ice cream, and served with a 2002 Moet & Chandon Grand Vintage Rosé Champagne. Hesitantly, I tasted the tarte, and I was pleasantly surprised by the sweetness of the tomatoes...it could have almost been an apple tarte if I closed my eyes. The champagne was the best part about the dessert though haha. It was another successful and memorable evening at La Provence, enjoying wonderful company, delicious food, and exquisite wine.


(Book count: 6 read, 44 to go!)

No comments:

Post a Comment