Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sweet Sweet Summertime

Summer. This blissful season gives cause to celebrate...for various reasons. The end of school, a cousin's wedding, our country's independence, and even the steamy weather. All perfectly reasonable reasons to celebrate, yet this summer is different for me. Newly graduated, I do not have school supplies to look forward to buying in August, no epic tailgating for LSU to attend, and no classes to anxiously anticipate. This is WEIRD! Despite this strange and awkward transitional time between being a college student and a real person (Eek I'm an adult!), I am still allowed to participate in the wonderful celebrations of summer...and oh I have.
   The first adventure of the summer which I embarked on was a trip to Nashville with my mother to celebrate my cousin Elizabeth's wedding. Upon arrival, we immediately began preparations for a bridal luncheon to be held on Friday. After only two days, my aunt, mother, and myself had cleaned, shopped, cooked, and decorated till we were about to drop...just in time to actually attend the luncheon and enjoy the fruits of our labor. We naturally began this Southern bridal luncheon with Mimosas, Kir Royales, and an interesting cocktail concoction that my mother and I perfected. All the twenty-eight ladies in attendance enjoyed a wonderful luncheon in my aunt's charming 60s style ranch house and atop her newly completed deck. Perched at four tables in the beautiful southern sun, we indulged in a delicious menu:
Tomato, cheese, and asparagus quiche
French potato salad with green beans
Green salad with mandarin oranges
And artisan bread and
delectable desserts from a local bakery 
(aptly named Provence)
These delicious dishes were made by my mother and aunt who learned how to cook so skillfully from my grandmother who was greatly missed but not absent from the weekend's festivities. Although the luncheon proved to be difficult work, the experience and friendships made were wonderful and well worth it.

A picture of my aunt's dining room after the luncheon. Sadly, I was too busy talking and with my bartending duties to take pictures during the event.
(Don't worry...more to come about the wedding)


No comments:

Post a Comment